The long standing “Achilles” heel of Indian power sector has arguably been the power distribution facet courtesy the poor operational efficiency and piling debt mount on respective Discoms. The weakest link of the power value chain has consistently pressurized India’s power industry and has threatened procurement dynamics putting a serious question mark over existing and upcoming power generation portfolio of the country.
What erstwhile was ignored, has now gained pinnacle importance by Government as the future of power sector at large depends upon better financial health and consistent operations of DISCOMS. To ensure this objective Government did attempted FRPs for struggling Discoms in 2013 which tanked due to lack of timely implementation, forcing yet another scheme to turnaround the fate of state owned distribution utilities which has earned the nomenclature as UDAY (Ujwal DISCOM Assurance Yojana). The scheme is touted as the next paladin to bail out the struggling Discoms, potentially could see them turn green in a time horizon of 3-4 years from 2015/16. To understand what opportunities are hidden in store for Discoms in India under UDAY , enincon llp is coming up with a report “ Financial & Operational Opportunity Track for Discoms in India Under UDAY”
Key Queries Resolved
- Current status of power distribution in India?
- What UDAY scheme is having in store for power distribution companies in India?
- What are the key financial opportunity parameters for the power distribution companies in India under UDAY?
- What could be new means of revenue generation for Discoms?
- How would Discoms reduce the fiscal deficit and increase the liquidity?
- What are the operational opportunities hidden for power distribution companies in India under UDAY?
- What would be the opportunities for Discoms in metering , billing , power, trading , feeder segregation and many more etc?