Indian Industries are heavily dependent on Coal Imports which increases their risk quotient. Indonesia has been the top coal importing coal source. But with the recent changes in Indonesian Coal Pricing Policy which deliberates complete ban on coal exports, many industries especially the Indian Power sector was puzzled. This made many of the plants unviable. Other Coal-exporting nations are coming up with similar policies. The over exploitation of the local reserves and increasing concerns over the climate change makes a clear cut indication that coal imports might not be a reliable source.
For a sustained economic growth, enhancing domestic production is the only option. So a strategic re-look towards the domestic coal sourcing is very much required in the current scenario. According to a presidential decree it has been mandated that Coal India Ltd. (CIL) should fulfil 80 percent needs of the power sector. But this pseudo-monopoly has denied firm commitments since FY10, and has supplied just 50 percent of contracted quantities. At the same time captive coal blocks have also managed a meager 14 percent development rate.This could be a crisis-in-the-making for coal-starved industries such as fertilizer, cement, iron and steel etc. which might face the axe of domestic supply diversion to more critical areas like defense, railways and power.
ENINCON in this report analyses the entire supply side of coal by taking into account of both the volumes and prices till 2020. This report also identifies innovative coal sourcing options to various consumer segments, assess the inland and offshore coal infrastructure as well as logistics to cover up the extent of coal shortage.
Key Queries Resolved
- What is the coal supply projections till 2020?
- Which are the various non traditional coal supply options for coal consumers as competitive advantage over other consumers?
- What are the Innovative coal sourcing options.?
- What would be the Domestic and Imported Coal Price Forecast till 2020?
- What would be the Inland and Offshore Infrastructure Gap till 2020?
- What would be strategies for Innovative Coal Sourcing ?
- What is the policy and regulatory outlook for both domestic coal as well as coal imports?
- What are the key risks and challenges faced by Coal sector in India?
- What would the production trends of domestic coal till 2020?
- What are the recent technologies used by key E&P companies?
- What would be the price trends of Domestic and Imported Coal till 2020?