India has made an exceptional commitment to solar energy by raising its 2022 target five-fold to 100 GW. The government has announced an unprecedented policy push and states are providing the necessary infrastructure. This opens up approximately USD 100 Billion investment opportunity over next 5-6 years. Having said that, realistically, challenges of weak financials of distribution companies and grid constraints need to be addressed in order to achieve this target. Cumulatively, India has installed ~8 GW of solar power by October, 2016 end, most of which (approximately 4 GW) was installed in last 2 years. Long term potential and favourable regulatory shifts are helping to accelerate growth in the sector.
Key Queries Resolved
- What are the solar tariff trends post 2010?
- What are the various tariff modes for Solar Power in India?
- What are the region wise tariff trends?
- Which state is leading in terms of solar capacity addition?
- How Solar power capacity shall move as per change in tariffs?
- How solar power generation became disruptive for other sources of power generation?